de-haan-245-jaar stempel


Insuring your goods to be moved

If your goods travel far, within Europe or to an overseas destination, it is wise to take out All Risk transport insurance. The mover's liability is insured. However, this liability is limited by law and by conditions; insurers always use current market value for liability.

With an All Risk transport insurance you have worldwide coverage for all risks from house to house and the goods remain insured during delays during the transport, e.g. on the quay after unloading from a seagoing vessel or during a short storage period waiting for further transport. 

What is covered by an All Risk insurance? 

The All Risk insurance is administered by SAA Overvliet Assurantiemakelaars, located in Rotterdam, and provides the following coverage: 

  • your goods and personal belongings are insured against damage and loss, regardless of the route in which the damage occurred; except for reasons mentioned in the exclusions;
  • a move from house to house is insured from the start of the work to the placement in the new house;
  • on our form you can carefully indicate the value of your goods, so that underinsurance can be avoided;
  • if you wish your goods to remain in storage for a certain period, you can request an extension of the coverage;
  • justified claims are settled quickly and correctly.

Which exclusions should I take into account?

The following exclusions apply to the insurance:

  1. Losses and / or damage due to own packing material

Only if you use De Haan Relocation moving boxes, pack them yourself plus leave all boxes open at the top prior to the move, so that our movers can see what is in them and whether properly packed before closing the boxes, the goods are insured in the event of demonstrable transport damage. Moving overseas should never be packed yourself. 

  1. Losses and / or damage due to own disassembly and assembly work

Self-disassembly and assembly is not insured by De Haan Relocation. 

  1. Losses and / or damage by moisture and vapor

Taking plants with you is entirely at your expense and risk, including any consequential damage.Tip: put all outdoor furniture inside in a clean condition (at least 3 weeks), certainly via storage and / or container transport overseas, so that it can dry thoroughly to prevent mold!
Also, defrost the refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours in advance. 

  1. Losses and / or damage by liquids

Liquids as part of your moving household goods are not covered by the relocation insurance.
Tip: Don't forget to empty the water tank for your iron and coffee machine before moving!
If you have a printer: take out the ink cartridges. The ink cartridges are liquid and are not covered by the removal insurance. Cleaning products, toiletries and bottles of drinks, for example, also fall under this. Also not covered: possible consequential damage due to leakage. 

  1. Losses and / or damage due to food & perishable goods

Losses or damage due to additional perishables, solvents, etc., regardless of their nature, are not covered by the relocation insurance. 

  1. Damage and loss of jewelery and valuable papers

Take jewelery and securities with you as hand luggage. Jewelry and securities are not covered by the relocation insurance and may not be taken in the moving truck. 

  1. Internationally Prohibited Goods. Under no circumstances pack these items!

Changes in temperature and pressure of flammable or highly flammable liquids and aerosols can cause leakage or even explosion. If you do pack them up and they injure people, you are liable!

  • Firearms, weapons, ammunition, explosives of any type
  • Narcotics, drugs and related substances
  • Tobacco / cigarettes
  • Obscene literature, pornographic material
  • Animal items and Flora & Fauna objects such as ivory, horns, shells, fur
  • Precious metals and stones, mineral samples
  • Toiletries and cosmetics containing alcohol, pressurized liquids (e.g. but not limited to hairspray, deodorant, aerosol sprays, perfumes, etc.)
  • Corrosive substances (e.g., but not limited to cleaning fluids, bleach, acids, household chemicals, drain cleaner, rust removers, or instruments containing mercury / battery fluid, such as mercury barometers or thermometers)
  • Flammable or highly flammable materials (e.g., lighter liquids, perfume, matches, briquettes, paint, chemicals), including devices with embedded lithium-ion batteries, e.g. E-bikes, E-scooter, cell phones, laptops, tablets or Hoover boards
  • Human remains or ashes

Tip: If you want to bring appliances that normally run on gasoline, such as lawn mowers and motorcycles, make sure that the tank of the appliance is completely empty. 

  1. General others

  • Damages caused by war risks, floods or nuclear accidents
  • Consequential damage, i.e. other damage than to the insured goods
  • Damage due to delay, government / customs seizure
  • Damage to living goods, for example the quality of wine ü Internal damage to electrical or electronic devices. 

In addition to the aforementioned generally internationally prohibited goods, some countries may additionally prohibit certain goods. For example, but not exclusively:
Russia      - art collections (paintings, sculptures)
Mexico    - auto spare parts and wheels
Singapore - chewing gum
Australia   - meat, poultry, eggs, dairy, plants and seeds, herbs and spices
Japan         - counterfeit products.

You can consult the complete overview of all prohibited goods in your personal household effects per country here:
This listing is provided as a courtesy and for reference only. It is not guaranteed to be complete. Should you require further information, please contact us or your local carrier prior to shipment. 

       9. Chandelier without crate

For a chandelier, we strongly recommend that we have a separate measuring crate made by us at an additional cost so that it can be transported correctly and without damage. Moving the chandelier is not insured without a crate.

De Haan Relocation can only provide insurance for the relocations for which they have received the assignment. The insurance applies from house to house, unless otherwise indicated by you. Damage that occurs after delivery is not covered. Any damage must be indicated on the delivery document, on which you sign for receipt and / or be notified by telephone contact or e-mail. In all cases, reporting must take place as soon as possible and in any case within 14 days.

To apply for insurance, indicate on the order confirmation signed for approval that you want All Risk insurance with the required or desired amount. You must also send us the fully completed “Insured Value” form.

It is important that the "Insured Value" form is completed correctly, so that your goods are properly insured during the move. Below are some helpful tips to help you fill out the form.

Goods to be insured

The items on the list are goods that we move regularly. We recommend that you check your reloaction goods per room. You can optionally add items to the list. If a moving property is not tied to a room, you can mention it in the "miscellaneous" category.

Valuation of goods

Our insurers use market value for goods with a purchase date less than three years ago. For moving goods with an age of more than three years, the market value is maintained. In the event of damage, the value on the insured value form is retained; you must be able to substantiate this value.

Under this clause, insurers will never pay more than the purchase amount, with the exception of art and antiques validated by a valuation report. If the value of the relevant moving goods falls in value within the aforementioned three years, insurers will use the value to replace the specific item, so that a (type of) similar product can be purchased. We often see such a depreciation in electronics (televisions, computers, etc.).

Listing items

It is possible to list certain moving goods. Some examples are clothing, crockery and any other collections. Keep in mind that there are no major differences in value between the goods. If this is the case, we recommend that you mention the items specifically to avoid underinsurance.

Lump sum insurance

An alternative to completing the “Insured Value” form involves the use of a lump sum. A value of € 2500 is used per cubic meter of moving goods. We recommend this option only for a small move and / or removals that do not involve moving goods of extraordinary value.


In recent years, in collaboration with our partners, we have invested in a worldwide network of furniture repairers who can advise and assist you at your new destination, should it be the case that your household effects have been damaged during transport.

Questions and / or remarks

If you have any questions and/or comments regarding the completion of the “Insured Value” form or if you are in any doubt about anything, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are happy to inform you and assist you at all times, including when filling in the form.

De Haan Relocation | Tel: +31 (0) 78 - 69 20 333 | Email:

Margreet Ophof

Any questions? Our experienced specialist is at your service.

You can reach me at +31786920333 or send an .